Between 1991 and 2008, Sberbank of Russia undergoes profound changes. Positioning itself as a modern and versatile bank catering to all customer segments, it is seen as a pillar of the Russian economy.
1991 – 2001
- In 1991, the General Shareholders' Meeting forms the Joint-Stock Commercial Savings Bank of the Russian Federation.
- In 1993, Moscow branches of Sberbank deploy the first ATM's.
- Sberbank creates its Private Pension Fund in 1995. Invested professionally, pension savings generate a 10-year return of 278%.
- Sberbank starts cooperating with the Olympic Committee in 2001. The nation's leading bank sponsors Russian athletes at the Olympics in Salt Lake City (2002), Athens (2004) and Turin (2006).
2002 – 2007
- In 2002, Sberbank issues its first co-branded cards, VISA Aeroflot, in a project aimed at making domestic and international flights comfortable and affordable for Russians. Demand for Sberbank's VISA Aeroflot cards continues unabated to this day, which is ample proof of its success and value to consumers.
- Sberbank starts a win-win partnership with the Northern Fleet of Russia in 2003, giving the navy personnel, their families and civilians access to wide-ranging banking services and loans on preferential terms.
- As part of its international expansion policy, Sberbank opens a representative office in Kazakhstan in 2006.
- On November 28, 2007, Herman Gref is approved Chairman of the Management Board of Sberbank.
- Sberbank expands to Ukraine in 2007 where it currently operates over 80 branches.
2008 – 2009
- On October 21, 2008, the Sberbank Supervisory Board unanimously approves the Sberbank Development Strategy until 2014.
- The bank develops a Sberbank Production System employing a lean production technology.
- The new Sberbank Online service enables customers in the Moscow Region to complete online bank transactions 24/7.
- As part of a project called Credit Factory, the bank automates the loan application review process.
- Since 2008, Sberbank has the status of a strategic partner of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
- As part of cooperation with the Higher School of Management at St. Petersburg State University, Sberbank now relies on the school to train its administrative personnel.
- In December 2008, Sberbank of Russia issues Gift of Life bank cards, channelling all proceeds from card service fees and a percentage of all purchases to a relief fund for children suffering from cancers and blood diseases.