Sberbank and Rambler Group announce closing of the deal on creation of the largest company in the Russian media and entertainment market
- Sberbank invested in the media group and became co-owner of Rambler Group with a 46.5% stake.
- The companies have already implemented a number of synergies aimed at promotion of products and services of Rambler Group in online and offline channels of Sberbank.
26 August 2019, Moscow — Sberbank and Rambler Group announce closing of the deal in the frame of which Sberbank invested in the media group and became co-owner of Rambler Group with a stake of 46.5%. A&NN and Era Capital have 46.5% and 7% stakes respectively. Sberbank invested in the capital of the media group (cash-in investment) and the money will be spent on development of digital services and technological platforms.
As a result of the partnership, Rambler Group digital products and services have reinforced Sberbank ecosystem (previously the assets belonged to A&NN and Era Capital). The deal included Okko online cinema and more than 30 popular Runet resources such as Lenta.ru, Gazeta.ru, Afisha.ru, Championat.com, Rambler.ru, LiveJournal.com, Rambler.Kassa service and others, as well as Khudozhestvenny Cinema. Rambler Group digital assets currently have a monthly audience of 56 million unique users.
The structure of corporate governance implies creation of the Board of Directors which will include:
- Lev Khasis, First Deputy Chairman of the Executive Board of Sberbank;
- Andrey Vanin, Senior Vice President and Head of SberX, the ecosystem development unit;
- Marina Zhigalova-Ozkan, Senior vice President and Head of the Department of Marketing and Communications of Sberbank;
- Tatiana Zavialova, Senior Vice President of Sberbank;
- Alexander Mamut, Founder and Primary beneficiary of A&NN fund;
- Denis Leontiev, CEO of Strelka KB;
- Olga Barskaya, Business Development Vice President of OMD OM Group;
- Ekaterina Lapshina, CEO and Founder of Era Capital;
- Raphael Abramyan, CEO of Rambler Group.
Lev Khasis will be appointed Chairman of Board of Directors. The post implies annual rotation: next Chairman of Board will be Alexander Mamut. After the deal closing Raphael Abramyan will continue managing Rambler Group as CEO. The Board of Directors will be responsible for the media group development strategy and setting development priorities.
Lev Khasis, First Deputy Chairman of the Executive Board of Sberbank:
“Partnership with Rambler Group allows us to form the nucleus of the ecosystem in the sphere of content, entertainment and media. This will be the basis for our further launches of additional services for our clients, providing them with exclusive content, offers and services, as close to their personal preferences as possible”.
Raphael Abramyan, CEO Rambler Group:
“Integration into Sberbank ecosystem provides Rambler Group with an access to immense audience. We are sure they will appreciate quality information and entertainment content, as well as convenient services allowing spare time management. And we hope that the partnership will allow us to further increase the high growth rates observed in our key business areas. Thus, the number of Okko subscribers rose by almost 120% in a year, and from April 2019 – by 30%, which was connected to advancing of our product offering and the launch of project on English Premier League matches broadcasting at record speed. Media projects audience increased by 28% in a year”.